Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sunset At Sea


This series of photographs was taken aboard the ferry John H on our voyage from New London, Connecticut, to Orient Point, Long Island, on Friday, November 1, 2013.  This was the voyage on which I saw the green flash.  The atmospheric conditions provided perfectly for a magnificent late afternoon, sunset, and twilight on the water.  While I think the pictures turned out well, they nonetheless remain an insufficiently broad canvas to truly capture the vastness and the colors of the open sea and sky.  Also, I was unable to get a photograph of the green flash.  These points demonstrate that there is simply no substitute for actually being at sea.

As is my habit, I spent the entire crossing on the outside decks of the ship, insatiably imbibing the beauty of the sea and sky, and wishing that I were making either a transatlantic or a transpacific voyage instead of an all-too-short milk run.  Brief as it was, though, the crossing served as a wonderful respite from driving in the Friday night traffic, a momentary victory of the supernal over the secular. 













No comments:

Post a Comment